Tuesday, November 2, 2010

slow down you move to fast

With Travel, if I have to go beyond walking distance, I don't take public transit as one trip would expend 1% of my disposable income after basic expenses and while it doesn't seem a lot, it is a severe tax on anything I purchase; so I wait and if someone is going that way, for instance, the Wal-mart or Home Depot I ask to go along;

When I started this life style change, there were only gift credit cards available at banks, but since the summer I have found out that Shoppers Drug Mart carries American Express, Visa and Master Card gift cards; while this does nothing for a credit rating, it does mean I have access to some purchase power online and in stores not that I have used it a much;

What I am getting at here, in general is a survivalist strategy without the disaster; I don't bake my own bread, though I can; but I do make banana bread, scones and biscuits; if I want syrup for pancakes, I make my own from brown and white sugar adding almond or vanilla flavouring, or half the sugar is cider powder; there are ways to have a pleasant life style without spending a lot of money;

Probably the closest parallel would be the village life, with a home garden, preserves pantry and root cellar; brought up to date, with freezer and pantry shelf; make and mend, doing with what is at hand and not what one wishes she or he had; today, I blocked off the window in my bedroom because it has a bad draft; I used a drop ceiling tile, and put masking tape around the edges; for my bedroom door, which has gaps, I used duct tape and sealed the hinge side, then put sweeps on the bottom edge and the latch side edge to keep out the draft there;

No comments: