Tuesday, November 2, 2010

the 3 R's Strategy

I began this lifestyle change many years ago, when living in the GTA, but it was a struggle because of the credit card debt and the need to have clothes and transportation for work; I was living LESS well than I am now, even though I was earning 20,000 a year; after being laid off and struggling with the debts and unemployment for 2 years and then the two devastating health issues, and bankruptcy, I was left with nothing, and only the one way, UPWARDS!!!

My first strategy began with the purchase of a 7 cu ft chest freezer in the fall of 2009, which at the time I hadn't the money to put any food into; in time, I was able to purchase round roasts, uncut, on sale at 1/2 price from a bargain super market; which I cut into steaks and small roasts, packaging them individually; chicken breasts, boneless and pork chops on sale rounded out my meat needs;

The vegetables from the reduced shelf, cut up and freezing, then later mixing to make my own mixed vegetables; a crock pot for Christmas and I was away to the races ;-) 10 inch round tins, from Wal-Mart that had once held popcorn, from my "landlord" and I had ready made bins for large quantity storage of flour, rice, and potatoes (poke holes in the top for potatoes to get air);

I make 9 inch pie shells and keep 12 in one of the tins, in the freezer; 4 lt ice cream containers and soya margarine containers make great containers for cakes and cookies; bread and milk plastic bags get used for frozen vegetables; twist ties come from kids presents, where they are used to tie the toys to the cardboard liners; at one point I found 10 lb bags of carrots on sale for 2 dollars, I bought 5, cut them up and froze them;

Another time I found flats of 1.05 lt apple juice on sale for 6 dollars, and bought 4, storing them in the coldest room; I used to make wine, but got out of the hobby, but kept the books and equipment; this I have resurrected with the apple juice for a start; later I will purchase other ingredients and work toward a 30-40 bottle cellar by making 4 liter batches for variety; not being a big drinker, a bottle usually lasts me a month; I won't be making a lot at a time ;-)

No comments: