Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saws and getting ahead of the curve!!

A friend had seen a Mitre saw on sale at Rona (lumber and hardware store), but it wasn't the one I am looking for (De Walt); while the price is good, it is not as accurate or solidly build; I figure I will only have one shot at getting a good one, so want to make the choice count; he is wondering if I am looking at getting one that would be over kill for what I really need for now, but the way I look at it, if I get a really good one, at a reasonable price, for me, then later as life changes, (which is a hope ;-) then I am ahead of the curve, and can deal with much more in the way of building; ie, rather than one that will only do pictures frames and small stuff, get a (basic) one that would be good for building a house, for 100 dollars more ;) paying for it just takes a wee bit more patience, and patience doesn't cost anything LOL

Did the same with the Freezer, when I bought it, I was also recommended to buy a 5 cu ft one, but that extra 2 cu ft made all the difference in what I can store; 15 cu ft would have been a waste for a single person and was beyond my purse ;-) if I need that much more space, I can purchase another 7 cu ft freezer, and unplug it when I don't need it, saving on energy;

Doesn't quite translate to saws, but it is close in that with a good saw, if I need to I can build a table to take a longer piece of wood, ie 12 ft, and with the extra cutting depth of 12 in. can cut rafters and stuff for roof trusses if necessary ;) ok, a real stretch given my current situation, but this is projecting the hope of a better future than I have at present; and a 12 ft truss / rafter would be just about right for the width of a Walden style house ;0 12x30 ft being 360 ft with a loft of 180 sq ft, for 540 sq ft total, basic size house; it would be easy to heat and expand to 1080 sq ft if desired; that is only on possible strategy; other one is a 12x24 with the 24 facing south, and adding another 12x24 in front of it on a floating stone pad, which would be a heat sink, for collecting sun shine from the front row of double paned windows ;-) there are a few other points which would make this a practical solution to building over a 2-3 year period, which I will go into later; but for now will post and get back to living in todays world, not dreaming ;-)

Update Nov 11th
Reality came to Schnee on the weekend, and I am now realizing that the 800 dollar saw (Including tax) (yeah, Reality really takes a bite out of the pocket book ;-) that I was considering was way out of my league for now, so back peddled to the 270 dollar saw (including tax) that will do window framing and picture framing, plus other interior projects, etc;

No comments: